Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Social Network

M: Winner of the golden globe, Social Network is obviously a good movie. But the "best," well, not to me. Although it is well made, and makes you think about whether or not you would want to be the inventor of something like facebook, and therefore one of the richest and most influential people in the world (I wouldn't) it also had some things that bugged me. It was intriguing and sad to see what success did to friendships and trust. It was also sad to see some of the unnecessary drug and promiscuity they threw into this movie. I hope that, like much of the movie, this stuff was not true, and only invented by the writer to soup up what would have already been a really interesting movie. Maybe I am naive. And that's another thing, I don't like movies too much that are "based on a true story." From my understanding, the Social Network is very loosely based on a true story. I don't like it when something is presented as a truth, but I am not sure what is true and what is false. For example, did you know that Mark Zuckerberg has had the same girlfriend since before he invented facebook? The movie really did him a disservice. I think I will have to spend some time on Wikipedia now so I have a better idea of the true story (assuming Wikipedia is accurate). This is the year that if you mention facebook, you will win an award. Although this movie is pretty good, it shouldn't win the Oscar. 3 stars.

V:  First off, I thought Jesse Eisenberg did a fantastic job.  I wouldn't be surprised if he got an Oscar.  Other than that, I wasn't super impressed with the movie.  It focused a lot on sex and drugs, which while obviously offensive, just wasn't the point.  The development of facebook and the interactions between the people involved in the lawsuit was the interesting stuff.  It was a pretty good movie.  I'll never want to watch it again, though.  I found the music loud and annoying, and some references too obvious. 3 stars

1 comment:

Katie said...

Joey here, too lazy to log in under my own account. I'd have to agree with you about the based on truth dilemma. I do know that the person played by Justin Timberlake is real and has had legal problems involving cocaine. I didn't know about the girlfriend. I have to admit, the girlfriend story was a very effective tool for carrying the movie's theme of alienation, but now I feel sort of ripped off. Guess who did the music? Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails. I think the music is nominated for an oscar. I didn't notice the music. Anywho. I got really caught up in the pace of this movie and enjoyed it. It is definitely a downer, but I actually enjoyed the sex and drugs so I'll give it 3.5 stars.