Thursday, March 3, 2011

Tess of the D'ubervilles

V: Wow, what a downer!! I maintain that I hate Thomas Hardy. Didn't like him in High School and still don't like him. He's a cynic, a fatalist and a bad, bad man. His poor characters try and try and try and just keep getting knocked down by bad timing and unlucky circumstances. This is a tragically tragic tragedy. Just, please don't watch this - it will depress you. That having been said, I do think I have to rate this movie based on more than just the story. It was well acted, and it did affect me emotionally. I give it 2 1/2 stars.

M: Yea, its a downer. Tragedies are. But, my problem with this story is that in a tragedy, the main character should have a fatal flaw. Like V said, here, there was no flaw, Tess just didn't have the stars aligned for her I guess. It was her "fate" for her life to fall completely apart. It was mean spirited and not very enjoyable. 2 1/2 stars.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Joey here, I have some really good comments that I want to leave, but instead I'm commencing an official boycott of your reviews blog because of an egregious omission. Up is not on your list of 4 star reviews. Fix this or suffer the wrath of my boycott.

Clint C. said...

I've always hated Thomas Hardy, too. Despite Mr. Moore's hard sell on the guy. Thanks for saving me a couple of hours of grief.