Monday, January 17, 2011

Easy A

M: Our local movie critic, with whom we often agree, raved about Easy A. So, I brought it home. We invited family to watch it with us -- I am glad they didn't. When it was done, I apologized to V. Easy A is a play on the the novel The Scarlet Letter. Olive, played by Emma Stone, accidentally starts a rumor that she lost her virginity. The rumor grows and grows, and her reputation tumbles. Although at first, Olive embraces and enjoys her new-found notoriety, she eventually learns an important lesson (I am not sure what that lesson was). Emma Stone did a good job, she almost makes you like her very unlikable character. But, in the end, the movie is just too dirty to enjoy. It is also a bit hypocritical, which bugged me. Case in point, the "bad guys" in the movie are all overzealous and hypocritical religious folks. Fine, nobody likes a religious hypocrite. But, in labeling every character with religious belief as a bigoted "Jesus freak," this movie, at least to me, revealed its own ugly bigoted and hypocritical nature. I just didn't really care for it. 1 1/2 stars

V: Uggh. What a bummer. It just left us feeling dirty and disappointed. Emma Stone was a good actress and her parents were interesting and funny, played by a couple of my favorites: Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson. But it was too - eeeaghh. There was no good reason the main character would continue to act the way she did - she was just inviting the judgment she so readily condemned. Dumb. Can't recommend it. 1 star

2 comments:

Katie said...

Joey here. I'm totally with you my bros. This movie got such great reviews and so I was expecting more. Like Vicks said, there was no reason for the girl to act like she did. and what is the great lesson that she learned? It has funny moments and lots of talent, but the overall package is messy.

Clint C. said...

O.K. you will now have a lower opinion of me. I liked it and I thought it was very realistic to a California Highschool, from all that Clint and the present day CA teens have told me. As for the Campus Crusaders for Christ--I did not equate them with myself because I'm religious. I've met these groups on my mission at OSU and other born-agains I've known--one of them, a close friend told me outright I was going to Hell and that I didn't really believe in Christ. I'm pretty sure I wasn't even worth praying for in her eyes. These groups can be incredibly self-righteous and hateful of everyone outside their fold. Also the lead's behavior seemed very logical to me, considering her parents we're completely amoral--as adorable and loving as they were. Also, in the style or Clueless, the plotline was trying to follow the Scarlet Letter in which Hester was so charitable that the A came to stand for "Angel." She had a soft heart, and not caring about morals and rebelling against what anyone thought of her, she was willing to take the social hit to save others from their own social Hells. The language was awful, but again, realistic--you should see Clint's highschool yearbook--uggh!