Thursday, August 19, 2010

Whip It

V: So, I kinda liked this movie about a high school girl who wants to join the roller-derby. It had a lot of actors that I like. The dad and the coach were always funny. The mom, just really good - Marcia Gay Hardin - she's just such a great actress. Kristin Wiig is great - one of our favorite SNL staples. Ellen Page is very natural. You kind of know how it's all going to turn out, but it wasn't one-sided. Ellen's character, Bliss, comes to see her parents' point of view, just as they come to see hers. So she grows up a bit. The movie's got that mellow indie feel. Directed by Drew Barrymore, who plays Smashley Simpson. I enjoyed it. 3 stars

M. Great cast, Drew Barrymore, Ellen Page, Alia Shawkat (Arrested Development), Jimmy Fallon, and Kristin Wiig (whose Penelope Character is change-your-life-funny). Unfortunate, not a great movie. In fact, I give Whip It this years Worst Use of Talent Award. V and I really differ on this one. For the most part, I found it predictable, cliche, and annoying. It was a bizarre mixture of inspiring sports movie, slapstick comedy, and family drama. For me, it was really disappointing. 2 stars.

No comments: