Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Avatar - no spoilers!

V: It's that special time of year again: the time we see a movie in a movie theater. (In general, we feel it's a financially silly thing to do when you could just wait a few months and pay a buck for it at the redbox.) But you must, you really must, see Avatar and see it in the theater. And I would say watch it in 3D, too. Imagine watching Cirque du Soleil on a 22 inch television. Not the same, right? I'm itching to watch a "making of" because this was just really cool to see. James Cameron has created a beautiful world with beautiful creatures that need to be seen up close. Try not to draw comparisons-- whether or not they were intended, (which I suspect they were) and despite the strong urge to do so-- to world politics. (I wonder how members of the military community will react to this film.) I also heard mention of Pocahontas. But I think the story stands on its own, and is more interesting (less annoying) that way. Just take a deep breath, and let your mind go. Avatar is almost 3 hours and I ate it all up. I only have a very few complaints: a little less swearing would have been nice. I like my swearing as much as anybody, of course, but in this fantasy-land it was distracting and too pedestrian. And I wish they would have held the very last shot for a couple more seconds. And they had to include a pop song right after all that coolness, really? I guess they were hoping for another "My love will go on" money-maker. Despite those little things, this film is an easy 4. It's an amazing accomplishment. I'm not usually much concerned with special effects, but this was . . . just so cool. I read that Avatar is the second largest grossing film of all time internationally. The first is Titanic (also Cameron.) He takes his projects seriously, apparently. I love the concept of the Avatar, and the two worlds, the split consciousness. I loved it. 4 stars

M: No spoilers! Well that spoils things. I think V gave that title as a warning to me, which I will heed. As V and I left the movie, V commented that Avatar is a feat of movie making and an accomplishment for mankind (ok, so I am paraphrasing). She was right, and my paraphrase is right too. This is the most beautifully made movie I have ever watched. I had a few minor complaints, I didn't like the narrating, and some scenes were a bit long - ala King Kong (full disclosure, I loved King Kong). It is also fairly violent. Nevertheless, this movie just floored me. You have to see it on the big screen. I thought the characters and the world were so beautiful, lifelike, and full of expression. Do not miss this movie. It is 3 hours, so be prepared. And as V said, don't get caught up in what political statements you can draw from the story. Just sit back and be entertained. Amazing. The best show of the year, and the best show I have seen in a long time. Wow. 4 stars

4 comments:

Katie said...

A few hours ago we were standing in line at the theatre to buy tickets to this movie (Joey has already seen in and was making SURE I saw it IN the theatre before I had the baby) when our friends called with an emergency with their baby. I am at their house right now, just got their other baby to sleep and thought I'd get on the internet while waiting for their return. I'm so intrigued by this movie. I had NO desire whatsoever to see it for some reason. It just looked like not my thing at all. But Joey said I would love it and NOW a DOUBLE 4 from the M&V Movie Review??? Wow, I gotta see what this is all about. Thanks for the no spoiler thing. OH, and the other reason I didn't want to see it is because it's in 3D and seeing as I only have one eye and that doesn't work for me - I didn't want to have to pay the extra just so I had to wear funky glasses during a movie. But alas - you've all talked me into it. Hopefully I can see it in the theatres before my baby decides to be born... which really could be any day now I guess. Oh, did you want a really long comment from your biggest fan?? Thought so.

J to the oey said...

I loved this movie in a way that I have never loved another movie. It was a totally new experience. It can't be compared to a normal critically acclaimed type movie or any of the movies that are usually my favorites. The story is interesting but not terribly unique. Same goes for the characters--interesting, but somewhat shallow. Normally I would hate a movie that I described with the previous couple of lines, but this movie is not about all that silly character development mumbo jumbo. It's not about telling a new story. It's about total immersion escapism. I had heard warnings about this film's three hour length. No need for the warning. I felt cut off when this movie ended, like someone had just unplugged me from the matrix, like my alarm clock had just gone off on Monday morning and I was dreaming it was still Saturday. I am happy to see this film doing so well financially because films like this are made out of a love for creating something new, magical and entertaining, not just to make money. And this is coming from someone who hated Titanic.

The Liechty's said...

Have you two ever thought of producing your reviews for ksl 5..or maybe take over for Wright on the radio. You are classic. The great thing about this 3D movie aside from its greatness was the cool way the glasses fit.

Linda.

Clint C. said...

I loved it! I was in a cool dreamy Avatar cloud for a few days. To be argumentative, I loved the narration. "Last night I dreamed again that I was flying" was an awesome opening line. Who doesn't relate to that dream? And that the movie goes on to create a feeling so like those flying dreams we have, was just perfect. It should have gotten best picture, just for reinventing the entire movie experience. Hurt Locker is going to be forgotten. This movie will not. But I guess what Hurt Locker had going for it is no one has seen it but the Academy and I think that's one of the requirements for winners. Also By the Way, Clint is your military type and he totally loved it--said it was his favorite movie ever. There were good guys and bad guys on both the military and non-military end. It did have that redudandant bad-guy general character so many movies have, but it was easy to ignore that. Clint said it showed the worst and best of man kind.