Friday, January 15, 2010

500 Days of Summer

M: Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel team up in this anti rom-com. If ever a movie were to punch Sleepless in Seattle right in the face, it would be this one. But still, I kind of liked it. Gordon-Levitt (3rd Rock from the Sun) did a great job. I really, really liked him. I pulled for him. I felt for him. And this made the movie very poignant. I always like Zooey, although I am starting to think she may be a bit of a one-trick pony. But her one trick, dead-pan humor and beautiful singing, is a pretty good trick. Be warned, this movie is a downer. But it does a good job of capturing the emotions of the not-quite-requited love. Well-made, with some fun artsy crap thrown in for looks. I was close to going higher, but I think I will give it . . . 3 stars

V: This movie is billed as hilarious. It does have many hilarious moments. But this movie just broke my heart. I found it to be so sad, probably because it is pretty real. I liked how their relationship was depicted. It wasn't one of those so-well-scripted that it was unrealistic or otherwise made you feel dumb about the mundane way you talk in normal, real life - type movie relationships. It seemed quite real, with adorable highs, and some subtle cruelties. That just killed me. So anyway, they warn you at the beginning of the movie: This is not a love story. It is creatively made, enjoyable to watch. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Some stuff I didn't care for, garbage-wise. It's a pretty good movie. I think M enjoyed this more than I did, but still, and for different reasons . . . 3 stars

7 comments:

Katie said...

I really liked it and felt the same way about it capturing some emotions in relationships that I think everyone has experienced. Definitely gets points for being different - since it's not a romantic "happy ending". It made me think though - and feel and remember. And it made me glad to be married and in love.

Woody said...

My favorite movie of the year, I just loved every minute of it, especially the best choreographed dance scene in the history of movies. 4 stars.

Mike McBorg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike McBorg said...

Ya, its interesting. I liked this movie, and was leaning toward a 3 1/2, but it didn't quite make it. V didn't like it as much as me, but she let it slide into a 3. So we gave it the same grade, even though I think I liked it more. A good show that sticks in your head.

J to the oey said...

Really liked it. Because this movie doesn't have the traditional romcom happy ending, it leaves you feeling a little uneasy. But that's the point. They are trying to capture those broken heart feelings. And I don't feel like they were just trying to be different. They were telling a very common story, but one that no one really wants to relive. They succeeded huge in making those feelings very real, and with great style. I would definitely give this four stars for execution, but I understand giving it three stars too because it's not the classic good time at the movies. Like V said, I really appreciate that they give us a light at the end of the tunnel. Sorry for rambling, but one more thing. They made LA seem like an entirely different city than I have ever seen in the movies--looked super cool. And, is it just me, or is architect synonymous with desirable male protagonist in like a zillion movies. If you want to see a true desirable male protagonist, treat yourself to Ghost Town. (Do I get blocked from your blog for excessively long comments.)

victoria said...

No, Joes, you get bonus points for excessively long comments. M & I have had the conversation about grading a movie on its likability. M said he's more likely to dock a show if he didn't enjoy it, I said I'm less likely to do so. That being said, I thought this movie was quite well done. For its creativity, I gave it 3 stars. I almost gave it 3 1/2, but it didn't stand out enough for me. What knocked it down for me were the crude parts, and the little sister giving her brother love advice was a little annoying. I know, it was supposed to be cute - but they should have made her more sincere and less of a know-it-all. Anyway. It is a pretty good show.

M said...

Anything that raises this kind of emotional response is doing something right. Maybe it deserves a boost for that.