Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Rear Mirror

M: The other night we watched Hitchock's 1954 Rear Window, staring James Stewart and Grace Kelly. I think this is the first movie I have ever watched staring the famous Grace Kelly. Checking IMDB, she was really not in many movies, and even less classics, for a person with such a famous name. V tells me it is because she married a prince. I can only assume it is because of her striking beauty. Anyway, she was pretty good in this movie. Once again, James Stewart plays a man who is loved by a woman way out of his league to whom he is generally grumpy and rude. What a life. As with all old movies, I have to grade this one on a scale of relativity. It wasn't really as suspenseful as I was expecting, actually it was a bit predictable. But, all in all, it is a decent show with great actors and probably the first movie plot involving a husband chopping up his wife to slowly remove her from the house. All and all, just a light-hearted lark. 2 1/2 stars

V: Can you believe M said "light-hearted" right after a sentence containing "a husband chopping up his wife?" Okay, that's gross. (Post-edit: I was too tired when writing this to realize that M was being sarcastic.) Thank you, Hitchcock, for giving us the hints but not showing the actual disgusting and horrible stuff. I have seen this movie before, but was glad to see it again. I thought it was great! I'm reminded of when I was a kid and liked to imagine up crazy things. It's a good thing to do when you're bored and have a broken leg. I think "predictable" is not always a bad thing in suspense movies. Follow me here . . . part of what makes something scary is that you know trouble is coming. The when and how keeps you interested. And you're sitting there wincing waiting for it to hit you. This movie is not just about the creepy guy, it's about all the people you see through the window and their relationships, particularly the male-female relationships, as Stuart's character is contemplating his own situation with Grace Kelley's character. (Has there ever been a bigger duh?) It's not over-the-top. I appreciate a movie that doesn't make those alarms ("That would never happen in this scenario!") ring in my head. Rear Window has suspense, humor, and sensitivity. I'm sticking with the "Hitchcock is a master" club on this one. 3 1/2 stars.

1 comment:

Katie said...

cool. that would be fun to watch for halloween scary time. i liked your insight guys. v - i have to agree with you. i've never been so scared as when i was little and my brother told me he was going to scare me but i just didn't know when. i would be getting a drink at the kitchen sink and imagine him coming up behind me. KNOWING he was going to scare me was WAY more scary and suspenseful. i don't even remember if or how he actually did end up doing it but i just remember the building suspense and how freaky it was.