Thursday, October 22, 2009

Count Dracula

M: Over the past 2 nights V and I watched the 1977 BBC miniseries Count Dracula (at 2 1/2 hours it is really a mini series). The part of Dracula was played by Louis Jourdan, and he was really compelling. This movie apparently tracks very closely to the Bram Stoker novel. The show had the right amount of scariness with limited gore (which I imagine is uncommon in a Dracula movie). All and all, a good scary show.

But, and I am going to sound like an old movie hater when I say this, there were some moments of really poor effects that took me out of the moment. Also, a character of an American from Texas was played by a British guy putting on the worst accent I have ever heard, and I lived in England for 2 years and everybody I met tossed their American accent my way. Couldn't they find an actual American to play the role, I am sure there were some in England in 1977. I was even offered a job as a DJ when I was in England by a guy on the street. The BBC should have known better.

Anyway, a good scary Halloween season movie with limited gore and only a few effects that will make you giggle. Not so bad, giggles chase away the boogie man. Oh, and some of the scenes are pretty sexy and may make you blush, but the giggles will chase the blushes away too. 2 1/2 stars.

V: Yeah, some pretty lame effects here and there. For some reason, since it was done by the BBC, and since it was staying close to the book, I thought this would be less scary. But it's still pretty ooky, and scary. Have you seen Gigi? Well, that handsome leading man plays dracula. He really does have the perfect face (mouth) for it. This show gave me the creeps. I guess that's what it's supposed to do. So it succeeded. 2 1/2 stars.

No comments: