Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Amazing Grace

M: A touching story about one man's continuing fight for the abolition of the slave trade in England. An interesting story, and I learned a lot. I enjoyed getting a peek at the inner workings of the Parliament of the time, and I imagine that much of the dialogue comes directly from actual argument made and recorded during the slavery debates. I did, however, feel that the movie was a bit over-the-top. I know it is an emotional subject, but at times the movie laid it on a bit thick for me. Aside from a tendency toward the overly dramatic, which can be forgiven given the subject matter, I think it is a movie worth seeing. 3 stars.

V: We watched this over a two-day period. It's not that long, just was hard to find the time. (You always like a movie better when you watch it all at once.) I still really liked it. It's worth your time, if only to hear (watch) the story. Some people are called to do things they themselves don't think they can or want to do. But they've been given a gift and if they accept their call, they can do great things. You should see this movie. It's well done, good story, very clean. And that guy sure looks like Alan Rickman (aka Snape)! But it's not him. 3 1/2 stars.

No comments: