Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Up

V: I think the only thing I didn't love about this movie is the title. But maybe it was hard to come with something that didn't sound cheesy - and I really had very little idea what was going to happen in this movie after the old man went "up." So I guess that added to the fun. This movie was very funny and very sweet. I almost cried twice. But I held it together. (And you can't prove otherwise because the theater was dark.) The montage of the man and his wife was one of the greatest things I've seen - so sweet. This movie is full of heart, so I don't recommend it to ornery curmudgeons. The rest of you will love it. 4 stars.

M. I agree with V, that the montage and the movie were very-very touching, and up to the point when they took flight, the movie was absolutely fantastic. From there, it got a little silly for me. I didn't care for the bad guy and all his dogs. Maybe I got too much hype going into this one, and had unrealistic expectations. Don't get me wrong, this is a very well done movie, and I loved the idea, and the first half-hour. I just wasn't blown away by where the movie went from there. So, it could definitely be higher, and I am on the fence, but I have to give it, 3 stars.

5 comments:

J to the oey said...

Mike Mikety Mike, How do I file an appeal for you to change your ruling! I loved this movie. I think it deserves no less than the quat. I know what you mean about unrealistic expectations, that has spoiled many a movie for me, but this movie deserves a second chance. I have to disagree with you about the second half of the movie. Everything that happens after the house goes up is key to the resolution of Carl and Ellie's love story. And you, Victoria, I can't believe you didn't cry. I think a certain ornery curmudgeon needs to give herself a good long look in the mirror. Also, I love the title. It is succinct and if you use your imagination, it has a lot to do with the theme of the movie.

Mike McBorg said...

No Appeal, the panel of one has spoken. I did say it was close to a 3 1/2, but fell on the 3 side of things. Not a 4 for me. Sorry. The dogs kind of bugged me, and I can't be bugged by a 4. And why hadn't he read that book of his wife's that tells him to go on a new adventure sooner, it could have saved him some troubles. Ruling affirmed, appeal dismissed, with costs awarded to me. Pay up.

kate said...

he assumed it would be empty from that point on because he had never taken her on their adventure to south america. it was so poetic! i just LOVED this film. may be my favorite animated flick ever. laughed my pants off at the dollar theater. good thing it was dark! also got teary-eyed. just a lovely film. i thought the dogs were friggin hilarious.

victoria said...

Joey, I'm not the ornery curmudgeon, M is. (Love ya!) What I meant was, only an ornery curmudgeon wouldn't love this movie. I would like to further expound upon my love with the following: It is so great that he goes on that big adventure. Adventure is what he and Ellie loved! It's how they met. So ironic that their adventurous hero turns out to be the villain, and Carl bests him, making him the "king" adventurer. But then, the memory book shows that even above that, the best adventure was the couple's relationship. Added to that is the new relationship with the little scout, who needed a little more love. And I laughed, I guffawed, at the doberman with the tiny robot voice! Full heart, full stars.

J to the oey said...

Mike, you are a tyrant and you will be toppled. We, the people, have a right to tell you what your opinion is. I second everything that my sissies said, but I'm going to take it one step further and say that this may be my favorite movie of all time.