Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Forever Strong

M: While watching this movie, my sister-in-law made the comment that sports movies are way more sappy than "Chic Flicks." In this case, its true. This movie heaps on the sap and the cheese without any sense of shame. Not since August Rush have I murmured and shaken my head so much watching a movie. The best part of the show was its giggling and snide comments opportunities. Was the Highland rugby team really so darn nice, and was the team from Arizona really so *$#@ evil. I mean the transitioning from the scenes of one team talking about their brothers who played before, while changing old ladies' tires and visiting children in the hospital, to the other team spitting beer on their friend who wouldn't drink and framing him with drug charges because he wasn't cool anymore. Seriously? Don't get me wrong, I love a sports movie. Hoosiers is classic, and is not itself cheese free. But come on, there has to be a limit. This movie made "The Notebook" look like a documentary about life in the country. Unacceptable. 1 1/2 stars.

V: I didn't see the whole thing, so I won't give a rating. I did pop my head in to watch a couple of minutes in the middle, and had to leave it. I suggest you do the same.

M: You know, some people really love this show, so maybe I am missing something. But is was so overdone. And I am from Utah, home of Highland, and where the movie was made and supposedly took place, and I have never met a goofy Russian with Rastafarian hair like the one portrayed in the movie. We don't have many folks like that here. Not to say it isn't possible, but I have a feeling that was artistic license and comic relief at work. Some cool scenes around familiar places in Salt Lake, maybe that should give the movie a bump in the rating. Mmmm, Maybe.

1 comment:

Katie said...

ha ha. i actually kinda liked but then again i have a softer and kinder heart than you. it had a good message for those youth that were in the room. much better than the entertainment the night before. it was a clear message from chad. :-)