Monday, June 16, 2008

Sense and Sensibility (BBC, 2008)


V: Here we are again, I think this is the last S&S we'll be reviewing - partly because this one really satisfied. Like Mike mentioned about the last one, this is better than the book. The main reason? Colonel Brandon. I think this is a better told story because they flesh out Brandon, all the way through the movie. It really adds to the tension and romance. (Probably because he reminds us of Darcy - and who doesn't love Darcy?) There's a particularly great moment when he catches Marianne - I was sold. True, it's not in the book. Who cares? If it's an improvement to an already good story, I accept it. I think we all (4 of us) agreed that this is a bit better than the Emma Thompson version. But giving credit, I do think it borrowed some things from Thompson's. And I preferred Thompson's Willoughby. (As did Thompson, actually, she married him. Well, the actor, anyway.) This Willoughby wasn't as handsome, and gave you reason to dislike and distrust him from the beginning. I preferred to be taken in. Keeps things complicated. This was a little more Villain-Hero simplistic. But I still liked it a little better than the other. 3 1/2 stars
-
M: Great movie, great casting. I liked this even more that the last version we watched, which was also very good. As V said, the characters and their relationships were just a bit more fleshed out. This contained more from the book which the earlier version had cut out; it helps that it was 3 hours long. Although it was better that the prior version, and I gave that 3 1/2 stars, I just don't think this can quite jump to the 4 star mark for me. That is pretty prestigious company and this doesn't quite make it there, but it is close. See it. 3 1/2 stars

No comments: