Monday, June 9, 2008

All About Eve

V: Today was a sick day for V. I usually don't like to watch movies without M, but since I had hours of lying in bed ahead of me, and it was an old show, I thought I'd go ahead. I had picked up a pack of old Best Picture winners from the library and out of four, this was the one I picked.

All About Eve (1950) garnered a record 14 Oscar nominations (not tied until Titanic in 1998). The star, Bette Davis, didn't win the best actress Oscar, (but got the Golden Globe, NY Critics, and Cannes award) though many felt it was the best performance of her career.

All About Eve is the story of a young woman who flatters and deceives her way into stardom at the expense of those who offered her help. It is also the story of an actress who is beginning to feel less valued because she has reached the ripe old age of 40, worrying about her identity as an actress and a woman. The script is great. The acting is really great. The story is interesting and engrossing as you follow the variety of characters. I'd heard of this movie and have meant to see it for a long time. I'm glad I did. It was especially fun for me to see Bette Davis in action, who is a Hollywood legend, but of whom I knew little. I would be embarrassed not to give this film 4 stars, since it is one of the classics, and who am I to say otherwise. But I also think it really deserves it. There is great tension throughout, great story, great characters. 4 stars

M: Oooh. Sounds good.

No comments: