Friday, June 6, 2008

Midnight

V:This is an olllldie, but goodie. It was recommended to me by VSL (Very Short List) so I thought I'd give it a try. This 1939 movie stars Claudette Colbert, Don Ameche and John Barrymore (Drew's grandpappy). A penniless singer poses as a wealthy baroness and has to decide between marriage for love or money. This is a fun little romantic comedy. I liked Claudette Colbert, she was very charming. There were some funny, silly parts in the thick of the mix-up. Like a lot of romantic comedies, there is a lot of silliness, and not enough development of the romance. But it was cute. 3 stars

M: This is an oldie . . . .

I find that sometimes when I watch an older film I rank it on a sort of scale. I say to myself "that was good . . . considering how old it is." But, I don't think that is a fair way to rank a movie, so I am trying to base my review strictly on how the movie struck me, today. I have to say, it didn't strike me all that well. I don't know exactly why the romantic couple ever fell in love. So he drove her around in a cab for a few hours, and threatened her with a little physical abuse and kidnapping. Does that love make? Maybe in the 30's. In fairness, there were a few pretty funny parts. But mostly silliness and overacting. 2 1/2 stars

No comments: