Sunday, March 2, 2008

No Reservations

Starring Catherine Zeta-Jones, Aaron Eckart and Abigail Breslin. Story about an uptight Chef (Zeta-Jones) who finds herself surprised and changed by a pajama-wearing newcomer chef (Eckart) and her newly-orphaned niece. Rated PG.

V: First of all, I admit that my viewing of this movie was interrupted many times, which I think lowers my overall opinion of it. I expected a romantic comedy, but it came off as a drama. Fairly contemplative, some tragedy, tension. I guess there were some funny things, and a happy ending, but it still didn't seem comedic, to me. It was very soundtrack heavy. The instrumental background music was distracting and repetitive. And the songs were many and unnatural - almost like they were trying to fit a movie into a movie soundtrack album they'd put together. Not very original stories. We (the three of us who watched it) all said we liked the food parts. The cooking/kitchen was interesting. I do like these three actors, too. So it was alright.

I give it 2 1/2 stars.

1 comment:

Sean said...

Heather again. I have not seen this movie, but I happened to see the original German version via Netflix. The problems you cited in the American version were not apparent in the German one. I liked the movie overall, but now I'm curious to see how the Zeta-Jones flick stacks up.