Friday, July 9, 2010

The Time Traveler's Wife

M: I don't want to lose my man card, but I kind of liked this movie. Maybe its because I like the notion of time travel, and it was interesting to see what they did with that. I didn't really care for the relationship in the movie, which I suppose is pretty important. I hated the notebook, same actress, way too sappy. This relationship also dripped a bit of sap, but not nearly as bad. It felt like the relationship moved too quickly and then went backwards though. The first time they meet, at lease that the viewer sees, she is madly in love with him and they jump in the sack. A little while later, he is gone for a few weeks and she is intensely mad at him. This after a lifetime of his being gone most of the time, which she didn't seem to mind? Not buying it. In the end though, I loved the idea of his moving through time and how it came together, especially with his daughter. That saved this from being another lame over-the-top romance. 2 1/2 stars

V: Interesting concept. My disbelief was almost immediately un-suspended though by the way they were so matter-of-fact about the whole time-traveling thing. This poor little boy loses his mom in a car crash, and immediately this weird man shows up and says, "It's okay, I'm you. I time-traveled here." Only the friend of the wife's friend seemed to show some real dismay at the idea. Okay, other than that . . . It made for some good - wait, pause the movie, let's talk about these time-travel implications - moments. But that is outside of the movie, isn't it. The end had me a little teary, not because of what the movie achieved really - but the thought of *Spoiler* seeing your husband again after he had died - yikes. And what does she do? She smiles pleasantly and holds her daughter at her side as he disappears again. No! That is the time for the tearing of hair and gnashing of teeth! What was that blithe "See you maybe some other time for a couple of minutes love." Arg. So, it was kind of interesting, but not particularly well-executed, I thought. 2 stars.

1 comment:

kate said...

we watched it last night. i liked the concept too, and appreciated the movie most for making me think lovey sentimental thoughts about my own hubs. but yeah, it was kinda missing the mark on lots of points most of the time.