Monday, July 19, 2010

Invictus

M: This was only ok for me. I thought that Morgan Freedman did a good job as Nelson Mandela, and Matt Damon was likable as always. But the movie itself was a bit much for me. I can be inspired by sports, but this was too inspiring. It is too simplistic to accept that rugby alone saved a nation and changed everybody's perceptions and biases. There were also a few scenes that absolutely bugged me to no end, namely the airplane scene and the scene with the guy scoping out the rugby stadium for, what was at least inferred to be, a good sniper location. The movie tried to add some suspense by inferring danger or assassination potential, but then later completely ignored the fact that it had ever mentioned it. Anyway, that is my take. 2 stars.

V: Interesting. I liked this movie. I didn't think that they were portraying that rugby saved the nation. Rather, I was intrigued by the careful attention that Mandela gave to the rugby team, and the world cup, as a way to reach across barriers and to unite the country. It made me want to know more about Mandela. There was a strong message of forgiveness portrayed, which is particularly poignant given the way things had been for the country and for Mandela, personally. I liked the phony teeth they had Morgan Freeman wear when he appeared in the crowds, smiling that great big Mandela smile. Even though this was a sports movie, I liked it. "Invictus", meaning "unconquered" is the title of the poem that Mandela quotes and gives to the rugby team captain: "I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." That's quite the mantra after 27 years in prison. 3 1/2 stars.

No comments: