Saturday, May 1, 2010

Corner Gas

M: Let me introduce you to my favorite TV series, hands down: Corner Gas. A Canadian TV show that aired for 6 seasons on CTV. The show is based in the fictional town of Dog River, in Saskatchewan, Canada. Dog River has one gas station, Corner Gas. Brett Leroy--played by comedian, producer, writer, and sometimes directer, Brett Butt--owns and operates the station with the help of his employee, and real life wife, Wanda. Attached to the gas station is the town diner, owned by Lacy, the girl from the big city. Other regulars include Brett's best friend and town laze-a-bout Hank, Brett's cranky parents, and the two lovable but incompetent local cops. I was introduced to this series by my sister, and through me, a think quite a few have now watched and, I hope, loved it. I love Sienfield, the Simpsons, and Arrested Development. They are all great shows. They also, at times, are not all that wholesome. They leave you laughing, but feeling bad that you are laughing. This is where Corner Gas shines. While it's not perfectly squeeky clean, it is more so than anything you can find on US television. It is also a lot better, funnier, and far more endearing.

The first thing that struck us about the show, as we start watching, was its slow, gentle pace. There is no laugh track, so you have to figure out when and if to laugh all on your own; I like this, it adds to the calmness of the show. As the show's opening theme states "You think there's not a lot going on, look closer, your so wrong. And that's why you can stay so long, where there's not a lot going on." The more I watched, the more I learned to absolutely love all of the characters, each quirky and delightful in their own way. When we got down to the last episode, I couldn't bring myself to watch. Each night, V would ask, "should we watch the last Corner Gas tonight," my response each night was, "not tonight, conditions have to be perfect." I felt like I was saying goodbye to a friend. Cheesy, I know, but true. Fortunately, we missed a few episodes along the way, V more than me because we watched one season in the Hospital after a baby, so she viewed it through very sleepy eyes. So, we have started again from the beginning. Corner Gas' offbeat humor, quirky and hilarious characters, and willingness to do a sitcom without dragging its viewers through the gutter is what makes Corner Gas the best comedy series ever. It is why we "can stay so long." It is why we can't get enough.

The closing theme describes Saskatchewan, "It's a great big place, full of nothing but space, and its my happy place." Corner Gas is my "Happy Place." Give it a try, maybe it will be yours too. 4 stars.

V: M is right. Corner Gas is a delight! We are now watching it over again from the beginning. (Can you believe M chided me for falling asleep during some of the episodes - while I was in the hospital? The nerve. Morphine is stronger than even the draw of Corner Gas. Besides, it hurts to laugh after a c-section. It was self-preservation.) I especially love Wanda. The "Conjunctivitis" and "Queasy Rider" episodes are some of my favorites. Also the one where Hank whines after losing at golf was pretty funny. I think that one caused me some pain in my hospital bed. And then there's "The Brent Effect" and the one with the Archie's characters, and well, you'll just have to watch. We love Corner Gas. It's a gas, gas, gas. 4 stars

1 comment:

kate said...

we're so glad you introduced us. we laughed and rewound the scene (like 7 times) where brent's dad is like "i know what a washing machine is!" and then it pans to the elves doing the laundry. hahahahaha!!! and the one where brent's mom helps babysit wanda's kid! "...or you won't like what happens next!" (vampire!) so awesome. we need to re-watch the seasons we have and get more.