Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Battlestar Galactica

M: Ok, so at the risk of revealing myself as a closet nerd, I really liked this series. This has been my treadmill series, meaning the series I watch on the treadmill in the evenings. It works good because it is action packed and not necessarily dialog heavy. From the first episode, which is really a two hour movie, I was hooked. Very exciting. Who are the Cylons, who are the humans, what will become of civilization, and what exactly does frak mean (ok, so that last one is not really a big mystery). With 4 seasons, there are of course a few throw-away shows. And, I am not sure that I am 100% sold on the finale, I wish they had pulled it together a bit more. But all in all, I recommend. Beware, there are some sex scenes that will make you uncomfortable. I wish they weren't there, but they are. Also violent at times, but I don't think to an extreme. If you don't mind space ships and suspense, mingled with death and sex, give Battlestar Galactica a shot. 3 1/2 stars

V: Wow, really sold it there at the end, M. I actually DO mind spaceships. I find them really boring. I do. I even didn't love, I know some of you will hate me for this, Star Wars. Too much metal, too many buttons. I thought the first episode of BG was all right, it took a little longer for me to get past the spaceship block, but after a while, I really got into it. There are a bunch of characters that you get to stick with throughout the entire series, that you will get attached to. It is interesting, exciting. Like M said, good treadmill material. Some good actors, like Stand and Deliver's Edward James Olmos and Dances with Wolves' Mary McDonnell. There is some objectionable material. And, yeah, it's kinda violent at times - because it's a war - the whole thing is about a war between the humans and cylons. Star Wars had some war in it, if I recall correctly. So I wouldn't not see it based on that. Overall, we really liked it. Like, I'd call M at work after seeing an episode to tell him I couldn't believe what happened, or I think ___ is a cylon! It was good. 3 stars

2 comments:

J to the oey said...

look for comments from us in a couple of months to years. i have heard good things about this show, but four seasons might take a while.

Katie B. said...

Jeff and I also liked it, but we couldn't get past the sleazy stuff in the beginning of the first season, so we quit. My parents tell me that there isn't so much after that, though.