Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Bee Movie

M: This is the latest cartoon about a bug that is unsatisfied with its lot in life and wants to shake the mold, ala A Bug's Life and Ants. In Bee Movie, a young bee, Barry B. Benson, graduates from school and discovers that he has to immediately decide which job he wants to perform for the rest of his life, every day, until he dies. All the other bees seem happy to work their lives away, but not Barry. So Barry goes off on an adventure and meets a human woman and falls in love. Up to this point, about the first third of the movie, I was on board and really enjoying myself. However, the movie then takes the viewer on a disjointed adventure where the story seemed to really unravel. A lot of potential, and pretty good, but disappointing in the end. My 4 year old really seemed to like it though. I give it a B. 2 1/2 stars

V: Had some very funny parts. Thank you, Jerry Seinfeld. I agree it got a little discombobulated at the end. And the point seemed to be (unlike Ants and Bug's Life): Maintain the Status Quo. Which is, I admit, a little uninspiring. But kids liked it. I enjoyed it, too. (I actually found the tv ads that Jerry did to promote the show hilarious.) For light-hearted humor, I give it 3 stars.

No comments: