Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Dan in Real Life

M: Good Show! We love Steve Carell. The first time we saw him in Bruce Almighty, he stole the show. He is also fantastic in The Office. And now, we find that he makes a good-- weird-- but good, leading man in a romantic comedy. Dan's insecurities and his funny relationship with his family made the show for me. Line of the show: "This corn is like an angel." Makes no sense sitting here on this blog, but watch the show, it is one of many lines that left us laughing out loud. As a bonus, the show had very little swearing, if any, and no sex scenes. A few innuendos, but light. 3 1/2 Stars

PS - I (V) watched the bonus material and it turns out the "corn is like an angel" line was an ad-lib by Carell.

V: I thoroughly enjoyed this movie! Another take on Cyrano de Bergerac, Steve Carell (who does have a pretty big schnoz) is a writer and the less-likely candidate for the affections of the lovely Marie (Juliette Binoche) who is dating a younger, more "manly" man. The humor was perfect - I laughed at everything they intended to be funny. There were also some very sweet and touching moments. (kleenex grab, tear dab) Carell and Binoche, of course, were great. No one in the cast bugged me. The family was diverse and endearing. The script was unique and realistic. I liked the filming, the soundtrack, the story. Almost a PG show, too. I have no complaints - and am so happy to have seen it! Excellent. 4 stars

1 comment:

Katie said...

I know! I don't really know why it's PG-13?? It's pretty borderline PG I think. Anyway, as Joey can attest this is a new favorite for me. I just bought it. (now since I bought Enchanted and Dan In Real Life and a few older DVD's all at once Joey lovingly called me Wendy) I thought the daughters did an excellent job "YOU ARE A MURDERER OF LOVE!" It made me laugh and cry at once which is my favorite emotion - but I WAS pregnant so I don't know if it counts. Also, the soundtrack is all original songs written for the movie by Sondre Lerche and he even sings one song with our favorite Regina Spektor. We bought the soundtrack to this too and I really like it. Yeah, definitely a 4.