Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Becoming Jane

Movie about Jane Austen's life. Starring that one girl from Ella Enchanted and Devil Wears Prada. Can't remember name right now. I liked her in this. And James McAvoy. Where have I seen him before? (Mr. Tumnus in Narnia - and in Atonement, though I haven't seen that.) Rated PG.

V: I thought it was pretty good. At first, we were both saying, OK, OK, we get it, she wrote from her experiences. But then the story began to form better, and it became a good, sad story. There was a bit of tear dabbing on my part, and some "Argh!"ing. Tough time and place to live in. I give it 3 stars.

M: For the first three-quarters, this felt like a strange redo of pride and prejudice. At the end, the show came into its own and had a nice, but sad, ending. However, not enough to raise it beyond 2 1/2 stars.

2 comments:

Star said...

I have been wanting to see this flick so it's great to get opinions from critics I trust! Her name is Anne Hathaway.

Clint C. said...

I loved this movie and got the "Authoritative" Jane Austen biography because I was so curious about that romance. The romance in the movie is a compliation of several she had. She had at least 3 proposals and refused all of them. My friend thinks she was terrifed of childbirth. I think she thought that if she married she wouldn't be able to write. The McAvoy character in "real life" was a real straight laced guy and Jane felt she really embarrased herself by throwing herself at him. He had a wealthy aunt he was dependant upon and it wasn't at all in his nature to rebel against her wishes, even though he was in love with Jane. That McAvoy guy is a cutie --whew!