Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Princess and the Frog

M: The other day we had cousins day, and all of the cousins, and their parents (that's me) went to see The Princess and the Frog. V didn't go, so for now, I am on my own on this one. A few things of note: this movie is old fashion hand-drawn animation, and this movie has the first black princess. Both are good things, and present a beauty all their own, where computer animation gives way to old-school drawings, and old school drawings get the honor of shaking loose from their past and emerging with a wonderful story with beautiful characters that have not been included in the past. The good thing about the age we live in is that, even though all the adults talk about what this movie represents, to my girls, it is just another movie, with just another beautiful princess. Her color didn't matter to them, which made me proud both of them and of society. But I digress, this is about the movie. The movie takes place in New Orleans and takes you from the bright carnival-filled streets to the firefly-filled swamps. One particular firefly almost steals the show. This movie is very touching and sweet, though a bit loud and bright at times, probably like New Orleans. Also has some dark and scary scenes involving voodoo, which may not be for everybody. All in all, a very good show. 3 1/2 stars.

3 comments:

kate said...

i liked it alright. what i didn't like was how the characters spent so much time as frogs. it made it hard for me to connect with them. i did like the old school animation though and my girls loved it.

Katie said...

so, i haven't seen this but i just wanted to say thanks for suggesting little dorrit. we just finished it and it was pretty exciting. i liked how it really brought out Dicken's serial writing style and how it just kept you wanting to watch more. there were some great cliff hangers and some cool characters. i guess i should have left this comment on the dorrit post but whatev.

Clint C. said...

Hhhmmm... maybe I'll see this now. It looks so boring to me. Maybe because I don't like N.O. Also this is not a household that is into princesses. But as long as we're in the South, maybe I'll give it a whirl.