Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Proposal

M: The Proposal is not going to change your life. Not great, not terrible. Just another rom-com where boy meets girl, boy and girl don't get along, but through a series of humorous events they start to appreciate and love each other, conflict develops, conflict is resolved, all past injustices are quickly forgiven, and they kiss (or more); end credits. Here, I appreciated that they didn't go beyond the kiss, although V commented on how it is simply expected and inferred that they would, but it just didn't make the screen. I liked the couple alright, they looked good together, but I didn't buy the romance. I am sorry but years of cruel treatment followed by extortion can't be so easily overcome, can it? A few overly silly parts and a bit of real predictability also hinder the movie. But, it is fairly harmless (well, one partial nude scene) and worth a few laughs. 2 1/2 stars

V: So if you had to convince an INS agent that you were actually engaged, but wanted to wait to have sex until after you were married, you'd be out of luck? They wouldn't believe the engagement was real? And the families just assume you will be sleeping together? That bugged me. Some stuff was funny. Some stuff was really silly. It's hard to believe Sandra Bullock as a really mean, bitter person. But I guess that's to her credit. It was okay. 2 stars.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I never thought I would laugh at two naked people accidentally running into each other... but I did. Either the movie made it work or I am a bad person. It couldn't be the latter right? right?

M said...

You are right Katie. It is a very funny scene, and you are a bad person.