Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Mamma Mia

V: Fun, fun, fun! We really enjoyed this show. It was silly and quirky and rompy - just really fun. Meryl Streep, as always, is great. And she can sing! We actually pulled up a couple of the movie soundtrack songs afterward - and she sounds really good. The "Winner Takes It All" number was the best - really powerful and touching. The music by ABBA is so addicting. And I hear they make an appearance in the film (but I don't know what they look like.) I loved the filming location - I want to go there. Pierce Brosnan, I think, sounds better if you don't look at him. His face seemed awkwardly strained when singing. The rest of the cast was very likeable, as well. I really laughed hard and out loud at the very end when the stars are dancing in full sparkly bellbottoms and platforms. Seeing Fitzwilliam Darcy wiggle like that was priceless. 3 1/2 stars

M: To start, V and I went and saw Mamma Mia in Las Vegas and absolutely loved it. The woman who played Donna in the play put together what I think is the greatest performance I have seen by an individual in a play. Meryl Streep and this movie rendition of the play had big shoes to fill. And they did a pretty darn good job. Meryl Streep was fantastic, likable, believable, and a great singer. Amanda Seyfried, who played Sophie, had the best voice of the bunch, while Collin Firth (Pride & Prejudice) and Pierce Brosnan made me squirm with embarrassment at times when they broke into song, but even they were lovable and enjoyable. All and all, a very good show. The play is better, especially at a big venue, but $6.50 for a ticket beats the $120.00 (each!) V and I paid in Vegas any day. 3 1/2 stars

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is one of the few plays i've actually seen, which ended up being great... it's funny to think of ol' Pierce taking a stab at singing though, yeeesh

Anonymous said...

Brosnan sang in another movie V and I watched, Evelynn. In that movie Pierce sang irish drinking songs in a pub, and he sounded great. His voice is well suited for that type of singing, but didn't quite fit this movie. Having said that, props to the guy for the effort and for going out on the limb for the movie. My respect for him as an actor has gone up.

kate said...

looking forward to seeing it!